Hello, fellow peoples of the interwebs!
Welcome to Episode 2 of the “Life Coaching with Ryan” Book Club!
The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal — Chapter 3
What I discuss in this episode:
Chapter 3 theme — Willpower as Reservoir and Muscle
- Using willpower in one area makes it more challenging to use it in another
- Scarcity mindset has a direct impact on willpower
- immediate gratification vs long-term investment
- Inconsequential willpower tasks improve the ability to approach all willpower challenges
- build “muscle”
- build awareness
- awareness creates a choice point
- get rid of an item every day in order to clean a closet
- track thoughts around a particular willpower challenge
- The limit of your willpower is NOT when you become uncomfortable/tired
- “I can’t do it…”
- “You ARE doing it!”
Anecdote: Curbing my irritation with people who don’t conform to my values…
If you were an endurance athlete, and your willpower task were a physical task, what would convince you to keep going?
Hit me up in the comments!
P.S. Still experimenting with Facebook video and IGTV links. Let me know what shows up for you. Thanks!!!